Saturday, January 15, 2011

Online Shopping

Photobucket




Advantages of Online Shopping:
  • Products can be found which are not available locally
  • Online sites are fast and efficient for 24/7 unlike stores which  are opened and closed at a fixed time
  • Ability to compare prices and features of a product from one website to another
  • No parking woes as there is no transport needed and this saves on gas
  • Can be done at home and at own pace without any rush or crowd to interfere
  • Saves time without having to go out to shop
  • No long queues as purchasing of items is usually paid through internet bank transfer
  • Convenient for everyone, especially working adults who rarely have time to shop 
Disadvantages of Online Shopping:
  • Inability to physically check the items which may not meet one's taste or requirements
  • Inability to negotiate the price and payment terms in some local stores
  • Items ordered online may arrive late or are sometimes on backorder without getting informed due to lack of face-to-face interaction
  • Not knowing if the online site is safe and legitimate to shop at as certain phishing sites may exist and may be prone to getting cheated
  • Having to pay more due to shipping costs since most items are usually transported from overseas
However, what is the issue here?

Issue:
Dealing with credit cards and bank transfer
 is probably the main and common issue in online shopping, as it involves a bank account and one's future at stake when safety precautions are not put to practice. Security is one of the main concerns. Online shoppers fear that their privacy or personal information may be revealed and get stolen by hackers. This is prone to young teenagers who have a limited knowledge of financial transactions. This usually occurs in phishing websites which online shoppers are unaware of.

Tips on Online Shopping:
  • Only deal with online sites which use secure transaction system involving credit card
  • Always check terms and conditions (guarantee, currency used and refund policy) before purchasing the item
  • Shop through reputable online shopping sites
  • Familiarize with the online site's purchasing processes

Personally, I think that online shopping can be safe as it depends on the where one shops at. Since online shops may exist locally or internationally in websites,  I prefer to shop locally online such as blogshops, which are commonly engaged by teenagers these days. Most of the reputable blogshops are known and third party reviews help me in making my online shopping spree easier as I know I can trust that particular online shop or otherwise. What about you? :)

12 comments:

  1. I still feel not very safe when ordering online with unfamiliar bloggers.As i have been scam before by some blog owners and some experiences is not very good for me.But i still shop with some familiar blog owners whom i have purchase before.Blog shopping is indeed a very easy and convenient way to shop for clothes. There's also a variety of stuffs that is not readily available in Singapore. It is rather tempting for me to shop online but i still prefer to be able to see and touch the item ,rather than it pictured beautifully and not of the quality i expected it to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. shuu: Yes i totally agree with you. even i don't feel that safe if i were to online shop.. unless the blogshop is a reputable one and is recommended by my friends. i guess online shopping requires a little bit of risk? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer the traditional way of shopping because I see more advantages than shopping online. for instance, I go out shopping to release my stress after a long week stuck in my room doing school work. If I shop online, I can't really feel the atmosphere outside and it does not really benefits me.

    Second point is, shopping online does not guarantee that you will love the things you ordered. For example, the size of the dress you ordered might not fit you. Its a waste of money.

    Third point, I think that it is not very safe to shop online because we do not really know if we can trust the dealer. There are many ways that people online can cheat us and one of the easiest way is to pretend they are selling things online. Once we give them our bank account number, we cannot be sure that we are safe anymore.

    Overall, I still prefer the usual traditional way of shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im starting to shop online.. This blog do helps a lot, i get to know more about the advantage and disadvantage of blogshop and which site i can trust of. Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I personally love to do online shopping && i have spent a bomb on it. I have even shipped things from europe & korea which sometimes make me feel uneasy. Because those things might be lost or the buyer from the other country may scam us so u need a little faith in buying things overseas. Sometimes the mailing can take extremely long too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Personally, I don't really do online shopping through blogshops because it just don't seem safe to me. Usually when I do get something online, I make sure it is an official, verified website and it enables us to pay through Paypal which is a much safer way. But I suppose going shopping would be a healthier and much more enjoyable experience rather than sitting at home, browsing through blogshops.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was scammed once during a purchase online. I ordered this make up palette and then the blogshop owner insisted she sent it out but I did not even receive my package at the end of the day. Till date I still do not feel safe buying things online because I do not have any assurance. But things on the website sure look pretty

    ReplyDelete
  8. The stuff I've bought from blogshops all do not look as pretty when I receive them. Hence I personally don't really enjoy online shopping. Most of the time I just browse through the blogshops but don't order anything. I feel that traditional shopping is the best, especially if you know exactly where to shop for quality clothes that are affordable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! Personally, I still have fears on engaging myself towards online shopping due to issues like breaching of personal information (like one's credit cards information). However, I do think that online shopping does give me the best deals and wide variety of choices - and the best of all, I do not have to compete with the massive crowd which could be found in shopping malls.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love online shopping! But I don't think it is very safe because once my money is transferred, they will be no way to get it back. The product also might not be what you saw on the website. And whenever my stuff doesn't arrive on the date it is suppose to arrive, I'd be very paranoid that I'm being scammed or if my package is missing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Online shopping often need to wait long to get it, it make me feel like i paid for the good yet I dont have it yet. However, one pro of online shopping is that, you able to shop anytime in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. online shopping has its benefits, like a wider variety of products to buy, time saved, and the ability to stay home and shop. however, there are many downsides too - buyers are not able to check on the quality of the product, its authenticity, and so on, and are also susceptible to scams in which goods are not delivered. Furthermore, the clothes you buy online may not fit, or may not look as nice in real life as it did in the picture. As a result i hardly shop online unless necessary, as i do not feel comfortable doing my shopping online

    ReplyDelete